Welcome to MyAspergersChild.com
Mark Hutten, M.A. – Counseling Psychologist, Home-Based Family Therapist and Online Parent Coach
HELP FOR PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ASPERGER’S & HIGH-FUNCTIONING AUTISM Education and Counseling for Individuals Affected by Autism Spectrum Disorders
(Psychology is the #1 most popular college degree in the U.S. because it’s the easiest degree to complete.)
This is what someone with a Masters degree in Psychology comes up with? REALLY?
Has this person no knowledge that Aspergers have normal to high intelligence and language skills?
Bad Jobs for Individuals with Aspergers—
- Air traffic controller — Information overload and stress
- Airline ticket agent — Deal with angry individuals when flights are cancelled
- Cashier — making change quickly puts too much demand on short-term working memory
- Casino dealer — Too many things to keep track of
- Futures market trader — Totally impossible
- Receptionist and telephone operator — Would have problems when the switch board got busy
- Short order cook — Have to keep track of many orders and cook many different things at the same time
- Taking oral dictation — Difficult due to auditory processing problems
- Taxi dispatcher — Too many things to keep track of
- Waitress — Especially difficult if have to keep track of many different tables
Good Jobs for Visual Thinkers— (we see yet another instance of someone who hasn’t a clue what visual thinking is)
- Animal trainer or veterinary technician — Dog obedience trainer, behavior problem consultant
- Automobile mechanic — Can visualize how the entire car works
- Building maintenance — Fixes broken pipes, windows and other things in an apartment complex, hotel or office building
- Building trades — Carpenter or welder. These jobs make good use of visual skills but some individuals will not be able to do them well due to motor and coordination problems. Then why do many of the recommended jobs require motor coordination?
- Commercial art — Advertising and magazine layout can be done as freelance work
- Computer animation — Visual thinkers would be very good at this field, but there is more competition in this field than in business or industrial computer programming. Businesses are recruiting immigrants from overseas because there is a shortage of good programmers in business and industrial fields.
- Computer programming — Wide-open field with many jobs available especially in industrial automation, software design, business computers, communications and network systems
- Computer-troubleshooter and repair — Can visualize problems in computers and networks
- Drafting — Engineering drawings and computer aided drafting. This job can offer many opportunities. Drafting is an excellent portal of entry for many interesting technical jobs. I know individuals who started out at a company doing drafting and then moved into designing and laying out entire factories. To become really skilled at drafting, one needs to learn how to draw by hand first. I have observed that most of the individuals who draw beautiful drawings on a computer learned to draw by hand first. Individuals who never learn to draw by hand first tend to leave important details out of their drawings.
- Equipment designing — Many industries, often a person starts as a draftsman and then moves into designing factory equipment
- Factory maintenance — Repairs and fixes factory equipment
- Handcrafts of many different types such as wood carving, jewelry making, ceramics, etc.
- Laboratory technician — Who modifies and builds specialized lab equipment
- Photography — Still and video, TV cameraman can be done as freelance work
- Small appliance and lawnmower repair — Can make a nice local business
- Video game designer — Stay out of this field. Jobs are scarce and the field is overcrowded. There are many more jobs in industrial, communications business and software design computer programming. Another bad thing about this job is exposure to violent images.
- Web page design — Find a good niche market can be done as freelance work